Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: write events log to CD?

From: Ali Campbell <fdisclosure () alicampbell org uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:35:51 +0100

Oliver J. Morais wrote:

* Ali Campbell <fdisclosure () alicampbell org uk> [040830 05:15]:

Sending logs to a printer makes the most sense to me. Absolutely unhijackable, and a good use for that old 9-pin dotmatrix and 2000 sheets of traction feed paper you have in the cupboard.

Read http://downloads.securityfocus.com/library/lp-attack.pdf

Fair enough. Although in my defence I must point out that I wasn't advocating sending absolutely everything to the printer verbatim - anyone can see that some sort of filtering and/or escaping is required, both in terms of the volume of data involved, and in terms of dangerous control characters. I also wasn't implying that LPT1 should be the only target for logs, rather a jigsaw piece in a more comprehensive logging strategy (something I didn't make clear).

Thanks for your comments, though. :)

Ali

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html