Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: write events log to CD?

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 03:26:01 -0700 (PDT)

Ali,

Sending logs to a printer makes the most sense to
me. Absolutely
unhijackable, and a good use for that old 9-pin
dotmatrix and 2000
sheets of traction feed paper you have in the
cupboard.

No idea whether it's possible on windows, though.

Why wouldn't this work?  Windows is able to print...so
your idea should work.

However, I'm not sure I see a great deal of efficiency
in doing so.  Perhaps a better idea would be to get
the Event Log entries off of the system as they are
generated, using a mechanism such as syslog.

Along those lines, if you go to
http://patriot.net/~carvdawg/perl.html, you'll find a
Perl script named wmievt.pl...this script uses WMI to
watch the Event Log for new events.  When a new event
is generated, the script "wakes up".  This is just a
barebones, proof-of-concept script.  I will be
fleshing it out a bit and releasing on the web site
for my book (book: "Windows Forensics and Incident
Recovery", web site: http://www.windows-ir.com).

Hope that helps,

Harlan

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.