Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re : Automated ssh scanning

From: Richard Verwayen <holle () ackw de>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:12:59 +0200

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 01:04, Stephen Jimson wrote:
A few weeks ago there was a discussion about
automated ssh scanning with user/password
combinations like guest/guest or admin/admin.
I set up a debian woody fully patched with both
accounts activated, and got rooted some days later...

look if your user/password are not listed in this page
: SSH Remote Root password Brute Force Cracker Utility

http://www.k-otik.com/exploits/08202004.brutessh2.c.p
hp

cheers
Hello Stephen!

Good hint, but my root password isn*t listed there (you may consider it
to be save!), but there were two known unprivileged
user/password-combinations on this box. As far as I could investigate,
the attacker used a guest account to get shell access, and then used a
local exploit.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html