Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Automated ssh scanning

From: David Vincent <support () sleepdeprived ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:11:57 -0700

Richard Verwayen wrote:

Hello list!

A few weeks ago there was a discussion about automated ssh scanning with
user/password combinations like guest/guest or admin/admin.
I set up a debian woody fully patched with both accounts activated, and
got rooted some days later...

The attackers installed some software and irc-bots and tried to use this
host for testing other computers, thats not the point. I would like to
know where's the weak point in the system? As the system was updates on
a daily base! The only known weakness were these two accounts!
you didn't set up admin/admin as root did you?

just asking.

-d

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html