Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Super Worm

From: "Willem Koenings" <isec () europe com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 09:33:03 -0500

What it says is:

"Possible combined exploits of MS vulnerabilities"

"It has been a very quiet day, but we are hearing rumors of possible
'super' exploits that may target several of the vulnerabilities
announced by Microsoft on Tuesday. We've been contacted by an
individual who have have been infected such an exploit, but
investigation of this is still underway."

I'm not sure that "possible 'super' exploits" - plural - translates
literally into "super worm" - singular.

'possible super exploits' and 'super worms' are terms that press would
love. but staying in reality - even now out there is worms that are
capable exploiting several vulnerabilities at the same time:

W32.HLLW.Gaobot.AZ

The worm uses multiple vulnerabilities to spread, including:

The DCOM RPC vulnerability (described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026) using TCP port 135
The RPC locator vulnerability (described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-001) using TCP port 445
The WebDav vulnerability (described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-007) using TCP port 80

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.gaobot.az.html

no doubt, future worms are more and more capable exploiting several vulnerabilities
at the same time.

Willem

--
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com