Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: have you seen such a spam?

From: KUIJPERS Jimmy <jimmy.kuijpers () swift com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 17:51:18 +0200

There is this really funny website which also shows how certain spammers, or rather scammers, are foiled in their own
game. Check out
www.419eater.com for some good laughs on this topic and go ahead and play the "game" aswell.

Regards,
Jimmy

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 11:30, Nico Golde wrote:
hi,
today the debian-mentors list received such a spam message:
   Hello:

   I'd like to request for someone to sponsor the following unofficial
   packages I have: snes9express (1.39-beta) - a GUI frontend for SNES9x
   (as far as I know this is still an orphaned package); and visualboy
   advance (a gameboy/gameboy color/gameboy advance emulator for Linux).

   The said packages can be obtained in this apt source location:
   anything
   that u want to send,send it by this below.

   P.O box 1103 agodi
   Ibadan,
   Oyo state,
   Nigeria.

At the time i read it first i haven't noticed that this was a spam.
It is a spam bot which greps trhough mailing list archives, greps some
pieces of the text in a mailing list message and inserts his spam text.
Here's the original posting:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2003/debian-mentors-200302/msg00287.html

have you ever seen such a spam?
what i don't understand is, how somebody can make money with such a spam
mail?
regards nico
p.s. for all german people here on the list.
there is a very good funny story about baiting the nigeria connection in
the actual c't magzine.

                       Name: signature.asc
   signature.asc       Type: application/pgp-signature

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html