Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: erase with magnet

From: Alexander Heidenreich <313373 () gmx net>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 21:00:58 +0000

Am Samstag, 3. April 2004 17:09 schrieb Michael Cecil:

Hi,

If you want to sanitize a drive and then reuse it, use a overwriting tool
such as Autoclave <http://staff.washington.edu/jdlarios/autoclave/> or
Eraser <http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/> and use the overwriting setting
recommended by Gutmann
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html>.

If you dont have such a tool or dont wont to use one, you can use dd on Linux
(Use Knoppix if you don't have it installed)

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=1024

Change /dev/sda with your drive and the count parameter to match your disk
size. Repeat the procedure two or three times and it's the same as you used
an overwriting tool.

If you want to sanitize the drive and discard it, then grind it up into
little crumbs and burn the crumbs.  I just autoclave mine and then
disassemble the platters to use as wind chimes.

I've heard it works to drill a hole and put battery acid into the hard disk.
It destroys the surface, so it isn't readable any more.

Alex
--
The 5th commandment:

A Discordian is prohobited of believing what he reads.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html