Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: VBScript/JScript.Encode Decoder

From: Cael Abal <lists () onryou com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:29:03 -0400

i ( we ) ( illmob.org ) released the first windows compiled rpc-dcom exploit
into the wild weeks before msblaster used the basic version of this, and we
live in the US.
since when did releasing non propagating code constitute a crime???

morning_wood

I'm not a lawyer but as far as I know tools which can be used for
Circumvention of Copyright Protection Systems are expressly forbidden by
the US Digital Millenium Copyright Act.  It could be argued that
Andreas' VBS decrypt tool released Tuesday is one of these.  I wasn't
commenting on the legality of exploits, just Andreas' VBScript /
JScript.Encode Decoder tool.

My comment was really only me poking a bit of fun at US laws -- that of
all the ethically-dubious information which come through
Full-Disclosure, something so innocent as Andreas' pascal code might be
actually be illegal.  Remember Sklyarov?

take care,

Cael