Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Verisign abusing .COM/.NET monopoly, BIND releases new

From: Joshua Levitsky <jlevitsk () joshie com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 00:50:53 -0400

On Sep 17, 2003, at 12:42 AM, Joshua Levitsky wrote:

On Sep 16, 2003, at 11:16 PM, Thor Larholm wrote:

Mail administrators
who use any non-existant DNSBL to mark email as spam suddenly has all
their mails deleted,

Actually I figured out how to use it to my advantage. I query "." which is my own DNS server of course as a ip4r blacklist and if the IP for verisign's site is returned then I give the spam a very high score. Any domain that doesn't exist would fail this, but any other domain would not return that IP, but rather the proper IP. I'm still pissed at Verisign, but I always try to turn a problem in to an opportunity so now I'm using their greed to block spam.

Just to clarify my own post. I meant a right hand side test so it is checking the address that the sender is claiming is theirs rather than how you typically check the host that is handing the mail to you. (It's late and I clicked send too quick.)

-Josh

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html