Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Wired misquote [Symantec want's to criminalize full-disclosure]

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 21:21:14 -0400

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:27:41 MDT, Alfred Huger <alfred_huger () symantec com>  said:
I am posting this In reference to the recent Wired article which Richard
Smith posted to this list. Symantec fully supports information sharing on
threats and vulnerabilities and believes it is an important tool for
consumers and IT professionals to gain a measure of early warning of
potential attacks.

So was your COO egregiously misquoted?  What did he actually say that Wired
interpreted as:

  "   firm Symantec, who called for legislation to criminalize
   the sharing of information and tools online that can be
   used by malicious hackers and virus writers."

I'm having a hard time reconciling your posting with what Schwarz was
attributed with saying.  Now, it's quite possible that he was misquoted, or
that he actually said that but the context is missing, or that he said it as a
straw-man or extreme position for the sake of argument - hey, I've personally
often suggested the cheapest solution to the spam problem is to have every ISP
chip in $500 and hire some <insert ethnic> muscle to "explain our position" to
the spammers.  That doesn't mean I actually think it should be done...

In fact, I'm almost convinced that something like that happened - but I think
we'd all feel a lot better if we heard the story behind the quote so we know HOW
it happened.....