Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Symantec wants to criminalize security info sharing

From: Azerail <Azerail () supersecretninjaskills com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:15:21 -0700

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Jonathan Rickman wrote:

On Thursday 11 September 2003 09:47, Richard M. Smith wrote:

For example, if Symantec were to get this law passed, are they prepared
to see their employees who work on the Bugtraq email list go to jail?

Of course not. They'll just shut it down. They don't want to see
vulnerabilities discussed openly because that keeps them from being able
to charge for advisories. The fact that these services still exist is due
to their fear of community backlash, not corporate goodwill. Don't kid
yourself, there are plenty of others out there just like them who would
like nothing more than to make the so called "security community" an
exclusive club open only to corporate types who see things their way.
Many of them are among us. Fortunately, in most cases the good they do
outweighs the ill will that they harbor. Eventually the thirst for more
revenue will push them over the edge, and I for one, believe that the
first one to step over that line will suffer such a backlash that the
others contemplating following them will go back to their corners and
sulk. If I had to bet on who the first will be, I would probably put my
money on Symantec. I don't have anything against them particularly, but I
think they are very close to the edge, as this quote indicates.

What's interesting about that is a certain perception in the security
community of "us vs. them".  Mostly the corporate types who are merely
well-trained (if that), and no real knowledge of the working of what
was once the "computer underground".  I wonder if the law were to come
to pass, how many of the computer security professionals would resort
to the tactics of their enemy in order to gain the knowledge neccesary
to protect their machines and networks.

Will the days of anonymous proxies and irc come again? Something
better?  I almost hope it does come to pass, as the community will
just adapt.  It's just an escalation of the game that was started long
ago.

Those of you who would seek to withhold and control would do well to
remember that.

It's interesting that Symantec would force people who would otherwise
have been customers into criminals.

All in all, I agree, Symantec will probably force Bugtraq to either
censor or charge for security updates, and it very well could have
been the goal of them aquiring Butraq in the first place.   Security
information (and information in general) should remain in control of
the people, not the corps.

Just my ramble.

Azerail

--
Being conquered lies within the enemy. Being unconquerable lies within oneself

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html