Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Popular Net anonymity service back-doored

From: Paul Wouters <paul () xtdnet nl>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:45:59 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Alex Russell wrote:

It's likely were legally prevented from issuing a clear warning, which is
why I say they should have taken the service down in protest.  I don't know
German law, but I'd be surprised if the courts can force you to provide a
communications service just so the Feds can use it.

I wouldn't be so suprised at such a ruling, although I'd really like to hear
from someone with familiarity with German law.

A court order might be able to tell you that they want to tap some
individual, and you have to co-operate in such a way that the target
will not notice this. However, *nothing* can order you to stay in
business. The obvious move would have been to tear down the anonymiser
and stop doing business. I am sure under Dutch law, I could stop the service.
I strongly suspect this is true for at least most of Europe.

Paul
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html