Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: RE: BAD NEWS: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-032

From: "Dimitri Limanovski" <dlimanov () sct com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:43:45 -0400

I agree that firewall is not the place to catch this. Any properly
configured HIPS should be able to catch this or nay other
similar-configured exploit without any issues though.
We have OKENA and simple rule to prohibit (or prompt) program
executions from within IE has stopped this (and dozen of others)
exploit from working. FWIW, McAfee caught it as well, identifying it
as Exploit-CodeBase but I'm sure this can be easily bypassed with
little coding.
Thanks,

Dimitri

|---------+-------------------------------------->
|         |           Nathan Wallwork            |
|         |           <owen () pungent org>         |
|         |           Sent by:                   |
|         |           full-disclosure-admin@lists|
|         |           .netsys.com                |
|         |                                      |
|         |                                      |
|         |           09/09/2003 04:17 PM        |
|         |                                      |
|---------+-------------------------------------->
  |                                                                                                              |
  |       To:       Drew Copley <dcopley () eeye com>                                                               |
  |       cc:       ADBecker () chmortgage com, "'GreyMagic Software'" <security () greymagic com>, "'Bugtraq'"        |
  |        <bugtraq () securityfocus com>, <full-disclosure () lists netsys com>, <http-equiv () excite com>,

  |        "'NTBugtraq'" <NTBUGTRAQ () LISTSERV NTBUGTRAQ COM>, "'Microsoft Security Response Center'"              |
  |        <secure () microsoft com>, <vulnwatch () vulnwatch org>                                                     |
  |       Subject:  [Full-disclosure] RE: BAD NEWS: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-032                         |

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Drew Copley wrote:
The only sure way to detect this, I already wrote about [to
Bugtraq]. That
is by setting a firewall rule which blocks the dangerous mimetype
string
change.

Just so we are clear, the firewall wouldn't tbe he right place to
catch
this because that string could be split by packet fragmentation, so
you'd
need to look for it at an application level, after the data stream
has been reassembled.

Of course, if anyone thinks it is easier to protect their browser with
proxy than fix the browser they've got other issues.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html