Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Israeli boffins crack GSM code

From: Damian Gerow <damian () sentex net>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 17:08:54 -0400

Thus spake Gregory A. Gilliss (ggilliss () netpublishing com) [09/09/03 14:11]:
Sorry, which GSM code would this be? Because I distinctly remember being
at a party years ago where the GSM code (some weak variant of A5) was
shown to be weak and hackable.  This was back in 1998...

Discussion on the cryptography mailing list indicated that all this does is
force a downgrade from A5/3 to A5/2, which can then be cracked.  I can't
find the archives online, so I'll paraphrase...

The attack forces the terminal end of the call to use A5/2, which is known
to be insecure.  It then cracks the key, and continues to use this cracked
key for A5/3.  A5/3 itself still hasn't been cracked, it looks like it's
just the initial negotiation.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html