Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Hotmail & Passport (.NET Accounts) Vulnerability

From: Nicolas Couture <nc () stormvault net>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 17:25:33 -0700

This vulnerability in Microsoft's .NET passports has been fixed several months ago, read the thread correctly at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=105236474000001&r=1&w=2 <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=105236474000001&r=1&w=2> .

I personally tried it and it will only work it the first email address in URL is the same as the second email address so I wouldn't call that a vulnerability since only the owner of the address in question can apply this methode to get his password back and it is totally useless if you forgotten your password because you need to have access to the incoming mail box of the address you're trying to change the password.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/passport_issue.asp

   I am forwarding this as it may impact people whom depend on MSN or
   passport systems for business reasons. Contrary to what at
   least one of the full-disclosure follow-ups reports, it does work.