Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Strange port 53 requests

From: Peter van den Heuvel <peter () bank-connect com>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 00:52:27 +0200

--- Initially sent under a wrong subject --- sorry ---

Hi,

UDP port 53 gets queried on several of the firewalls that I maintain
(and that do not provide any domain name services) from netblocks that
are owned by microsoft and realmedia (mostly). None of the machines
behind these firewalls are allowed any external DNS directly. The
queries are rather massive (thousands per week).

Searches on google did not turn up anything and I don't remember seeing
anything on the lists either (though I migh have prematurely deleted
something relevant because of the noise ;^)

It does not realy hurt us, but I'm still quite curious what this
actually is. Anybody got a pointer?

Peter

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html