Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [inbox] Re: CyberInsecurity: The cost of Monopoly

From: Rodrigo Barbosa <rodrigob () suespammers org>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 04:01:01 -0300

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:51:03PM -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
As some may recall, my original statement was an answer to someone that
was points that Unix is more secure then Windows (I agree up to this
point), and gave and example telling that there are still several codered
vulnerable machine around. This is the point I was commenting about. And
you do have to agree that is a machine, today, is still vulnerable to
Codered, it is mostly due to a fault of the administrator.

I'm going to pick one small nit with you.  There is another possible guilty
party.  In some cases, at least in edu and medical centers (that's what I'm
familiar with) the *vendor* is at fault.  Some vendors will not certify
their scientific instruments with the latest Service Packs and patches,
leaving the admins no other choice but to find some other way to protect
the machine.  (Hell, we sometimes have trouble getting vendors of
*security* devices to support their products with the latest SPs and
patches.  (Which is another reason that I dislike putting security-related
software on Windows boxes, but sometimes you simply have no choice.)

I stand corrected.

I kind of remember something about a friend of mine (Win admin) installing
NT SP2 and it breaking MS-SQL server.

And yes, you are correct about vendors too.

So, simply put, we are doomed :)

- When the software gets a bugfix released, you can't install it because
of the vendor
- When you can install it regardless of the vendor, the net admin forgets
to install it
- When the net admin remembers to install it, the users mess up
- When the user don't mess up, the cleaning lady pulls the plug

Talk about trustworthy computing :)

[]s

--
Rodrigo Barbosa <rodrigob () suespammers org>