Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: RE: Probable new MS DCOM RPC worm for Windows

From: "Gregory A. Gilliss" <ggilliss () netpublishing com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:12:23 -0700

W32.Welchia is in the wild. I have a customer who found it on his
home machine this morning. He is using Norton, which kindly informed
him that it had no way to handle it...

On or about 2003.09.25 10:57:12 +0000, Cael Abal (lists () onryou com) said:

I'm thinking that there *has* to be a variant of Nachi/Welchia in the
wild.  We have machines that were patched for MS03-026 (verified by
scanning with multiple scanners) but not patched for MS03-039 (ditto)
and they have been infected by something that triggers my Nachi rule in
snort.  This should *not* be possible with the "original" Nachi/Welchia,
so my assumption is that either something new has been released or the
worm has mutated somehow.

Mind you, this is anecdotal and a very small incidence (only three
machines so far), but it still bears watching IMHO.  I've been surprised
to not see any discussion on the lists about a new variant.  Perhaps no
one is looking?

Hi Paul,

Did you use a third-party tool to verify the patches were actually
successfully installed on the infected machines, before detecting the
infection?

Cael

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

--
Gregory A. Gilliss, CISSP                             Telephone: 1 650 872 2420
Computer Engineering                                   E-mail: greg () gilliss com