Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Web counter in the new Swen/Gibe.F worm

From: "J. Race" <caferace () well com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 08:54:34 -0700

The counter wasn't necessarily a good indication of infected hosts. Who knows what they started it as? Seeing as how it wasn't that hard to find, it could have been a low-grade publicity stunt. It could have been done in a far more stealthy manner.

-jim

security () smharr4 dnsalias net wrote:

It's a shame the counter was replaced, this gave us a good idea of how
many hosts were infected and could reveal real numbers of the rate of
infection - I'm still recieving these emails, over 100 overnight.

Maybe the admins of vutbr.cz would open their web logs to give us more
accurate information about the point of origin and rate of spread.

If anyone wants the numbers I collected (I have data from the 18th at
13:56 through 4:30am today) I'd be happy to provide them.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html