Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: new openssh exploit in the wild! * is FAKE AS SH@!*

From: Vitaly Osipov <vosipov () tpg com au>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:28:29 +1000

This means that the original poster (gordon last) made it up himself, because he is saying :

i looked at this piece of exploit... it is binary so i'am not sure if
this is a trojan or a backdoor or a virus. but i can't see anything
strange while sniffing the exploit traffic. and i got root on serveral
of my openbsd boxes with that. the bruteforcer seems to be very good.

which is obviously not true. Btw as far as I understand, the troyan code is triggered when
the "exploit" is run with the offset specified, and not in a "bruteforcing" mode.

W.

I'll confirm that it does this

The script actually opens a socket and connects to the target sshd but
does nothing with that connection.

It also takes a pretty deep look into /proc/net looking for other
networks attached to the device it is run from....

chris