Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SPAM, credit card numbers, what would you do?

From: lists_full-disclosure () darkuncle net
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:18:15 -0700

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 09:48:40AM -0700, tedklugman () yahoo com said:
[snip]
Lo and behold, I look at the root of said website, and
I get a directory listing:

submit.php
orders.txt

And as you can probably guess, orders.txt contains --
ORDERS. Names, addresses, phone numbers, and CREDIT
CARD NUMBERS. Dozens of them.

So I got to thinking... what should I do here?

a) Nothing. It's not my problem.
b) Notify the provider who hosts the submission page
c) Send e-mails to all the morons who tried to buy
this "product" (their e-mail addresses are readily
available, next to their credit card numbers), letting
them know that they are morons and this is why they
shouldn't buy products advertised in SPAM.
d) Something else

I chose option a.

I'd've done option c, coupled with an email to the security/fraud division of
Mastercard/Visa/Amex/Discover/etc. But then, I'm feeling altruistic today.
Must be the lack of user interaction so far.

(option b would probably be a complete waste of time. Also, if this had a
criminal/scam feel to it, I'd probably notify the FTC/FBI ... they have
reasonably responsive folks that deal with electronic fraud/scams. Too bad
they don't pay any attention to other kinds of network abuse ...)
--
Scott Francis || darkuncle (at) darkuncle (dot) net
      illum oportet crescere me autem minui