Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [A bug! update...] Whom to blame, the HTML interpreter or the JavaScript compiler?

From: bipin gautam <visitbipin () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:28:01 -0700 (PDT)

The browser is letting you compile some-thing inside
the alert function. Well, its should show it anyways
without compiling the script tag as it is inside the
quotation. But surprising, the output is different!

This proves injection of JavaScript inside a
JavaScript making it available to use the current
variable and change some static values predefined
and
even access other function without a problem.

THIS COULD BE USED IN MANY
ATTACK................................ AND CAN BE A
LOT OF PROBLEM TO THE WEBSITE where poor JS is used...
---------------------------------------
--- jelmer <jkuperus () planet nl> wrote:
This is the code you send

by
Cyberdude</p>
<script>
document.write("<b>hUNTER &
alert("This works 2");
</script>

this gives an Unterminated string constant error
followed by 2 alerts, which
is exactly what it should do

1. <script>document.write("<b>hUNTER &
Cyberdude</b></script>

this gives the unterminated string constant, your
simply not closing your
string, <b>hUNTER & Cyberdude never gets written out

2. <script>alert("it works 1"); alert("This works
2"); </script>

This is perfectly valid and thus executes

I really dont see what your trying to do or what the
threat would be when
you got whatever your trying to do to work

--jelmer