Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Strange behavior in Windows 98 and 2000

From: Fabio Gomes de Souza <bugtraq () gs2 com br>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 19:12:20 -0300

Not likely. This is happening with many boxes in different buildings. Also, a friend of mine who has a WISP, called me today about the same problem that is happening with his customers. He told that Windows 2000 and XP boxes lose TCP/IP communication and, after a reboot, they work again.

I am SOOO scared. :D

Fabio

David Vincent escreveu:
I've got a w2k box like that.

no matter what I do it will freeze when it gets about 1/3 of the way through
the ie 6 download.  doesn't matter the day, time, power outlet, network
card, power supply, ram, cat-5 cable, network drop, phase of the moon, or
where any of the planets or tides are.

at least part of the problem was the power conditioner it was on before.  we
replaced that workstation with another and it had the same problems of flaky
conenctivity and random BSODs.  only after the power conditioner died and
was replaced did we figure out what the problem was.

I can download huge files with the original box, but can't get past 1/3 of
the way through the ie 6 download before it chokes.  reboots do nothing.

so, I guess what I'm saying is check the power somehow.   might be getting
dirty power.

-d