Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Email Harvesting virus?

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 21:02:44 -0700

Joel R. Helgeson wrote:

A customers machine appears to be infected with some type of malware that apparently harvests email addresses and puts them into a file named '~'. Just the tilde ~, no extention. This file is created under the C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\~. I have attached a zipped copy of the file for refrence. I came across the file earlier today, renamed it and copied it off to a keychain USB drive for later analysis. Well, the file re-created itself and the malware creating it is not immediately apparent. I've scanned all the running apps but I haven't had much time to investigate. Any ideas?

Microsoft Word? :) It appears to be one of the backup files that Word makes while you are working.

                                                BB

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html