Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-sigs] Re: Mystery DNS Changes

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:43:18 -0500

--On Friday, October 03, 2003 20:10:08 -0500 Paul Tinsley <pdt () jackhammer org> wrote:

    Yep it would, I threw those up real quick just to try and get some
visibility as to how much we were being affected by it.  Didn't put much
thought into it.  Just out of curiosity how many of those out there who
are using this or other similar rules are still seeing traffic to those
servers?  I have seen a steady flow of them even though the servers that
were distributing the malicious code seem to be down.     I have written
a script that gives me (from proxy logs) the union of all URLS visited by
those "infected" and I can't seem to track down a common url that looks
to be an infection vector.  Has anybody seen a mail based version of this?

We have three boxes in the student residences that are attempting to resolve using those addresses. I don't think there's a new infection vector. I think these are boxes that went to the Fortunecity site before it was taken down and so got infected.

They can't be resolving hosts now, so it's amazing to me that they haven't complained about it, but there you go. Some students can go for months without reporting a problem. ???

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member