Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: No Subject (re: openssh exploit code?)

From: "Robert Ahnemann" <rahnemann () affinity-mortgage com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:07:10 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Montana Tenor [mailto:montanatenor () yahoo com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 3:05 PM
To: Schmehl, Paul L
Cc: mitch_hurrison () ziplip com; full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: RE: [Full-disclosure] No Subject (re: openssh exploit code?)

I agree with Mitch.  Lets say you get an advisory that
a severe thunderstorm may be coming your way.  Do you
wait until the wind and rain are blowing inside your
house to close the windows and doors.  Do you allow
the kids to keep playing outside?  You do the prudent
thing.  Instead of trying to brute-force Mitch into
this, think about why doing the right thing to protect
the long term interests of your business is the RIGHT
thing to do.

I flip to the local radar and get some sort of proof that there might be
a thunderstorm coming.  Talk is cheap (as was said), so its up to the
admin to verify if A) there is a real threat B) the threat applies to
your systems C) the threat damage is worth the damage of 'unscheduled
downtime'

(for the analogy challenged:  radar = some sort of proof of concept or
something of the likes)

Of course, I'm just a silly win2k Admin on a 50 pc network which don't
run more than a couple uptime sensitive apps, but I think I have the
basics down as far as some of this stuff goes.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html