Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Throughput Testing Switches, need advice

From: amebix () comcast net
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:21:13 +0000

Question for the list. Here at work we have been doing throughput testing on various switches. Basically to 'test' our
test equipment. Lately we have been seeing really bad results. We tested them using SmartBits 600 device at Full Duplex
Bi directional flows with a 768 byte ICMP packet as the traffic. There is nothing wrong with the smartbits as we tested
it port to port with a 100mb/s result. Heres what we tested and what they scored. They were tested port 1 through port
2, very simple setup.

Cisco 2950 switch  = 40mb/s
3Com office connect gigabit switch  = 60mb/s

Can anyone else reccomend a good top of the line , very fast switch? We would like to buy another. Preferablly gigabit.
Thanks.

chris () cr-secure net

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html