Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Solaris security patches.

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 22:59:12 +0200

Len Rose wrote:

NOTE: These are personal opinions and as such I do not speak
for any entity other than myself.

It's been quite a while for those who rely on ssh and sendmail,
so generally everyone eventually is forced to ditch "official"
versions of ssh and sendmail in favour of building these critical
pieces of software from source from the open source development
teams.

Furthermore, you can't be sure that a maintainance upgrade introduces
code with known, widely-published security issues (so seen with BIND).
And no, you aren't told at once. 8-(

Let's face it, if you run Solaris, you don't do that for its security.
Sun customers as a whole have a wide range of priorities, and security
is just one of them.  In some environments where Sun servers are
traditionally used, I can fully understand that it's more important to
fix certain non-security defects or deliver additional features.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html