Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [IE] Pure html DOS although some version require minor user interaction ( highlighting/minimising )

From: Tim <tim-security () sentinelchicken org>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 08:11:34 -0700

Tested on Opera 7.11/Linux 2.4.21 and 7.21/Linux 2.4.21.

Neither exhibited any signs of DoS.

tim

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 02:29:13PM +1000, John wrote:
Basicly this simple employees a HEAP of <big> tags and only requires a
single closing tag. Someone versions on view will die others require
something to activate rendering I assume this could be done via a java
script.

Proof of concept

http://www.lexicon.net/mccann/t.html

Mozilla doesn't crash some version my experience high cpu usage while
rendering also the layout will be stuffed but it is also a problem with
overflowing font sizes.
Opera untested.
Other untested.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.