Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Stupid XP trick - BIOS DOS?

From: "Poof" <gui () goddessmoon org>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:01:14 -0800

Who knows but I noticed this -LONG- ago when something alike happened.

The problem I had however was that Windows couldn't change the date. It'd
boot correctly though. So... It either doesn't happen on every computer...
Or I was using another Windows OS. (Maybe 98)

Anyhow... Yeah.

~

The date was set to 0/0/2003, something I cant MAKE it do but the CMOS
battery problem did anyway. If you can do that to your BIOS and you run
XPSP1 (may affect ALL Windows - I don't know), set it to that impossible
date and boot into Windows. You will find that your machine boots to the
spot where the pointer JUST appears and does nothing else. It doesn't lock
up, doesn't allow task manager or anything else, just loops in it's
tracks.
Resetting the BIOS date to something within the normal calendar range then
allows it to boot normally, thereafter. This date trick may ALSO apply to
other dates outside the normal range such as 31st Feb and the 13th month
too so is worth thinking about.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html