Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: defense against session hijacking

From: Jakob Lell <jlell () JakobLell de>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:33:24 +0100

On Tuesday 18 November 2003 14:18, Jason Ziemba wrote:
I'm not going to claim that my method is fool-proof, but..
If you are using sessions on your site then you should have the ability to
track the movement of a user through-out your system.

If you record the last page the user was on (with a specific session-id)
and then check the referrer server variable on their next hit.  Compare
the referrer to their last known page.  Most of the time (depending on the
complexity of your site) the referrer and last known page should match.
If their session is 'hijacked', odds are the 'hijacker' will not be
following in a valid user's footsteps, more likely they will just be
coming at the server with rogue data.  The referrer check won't match and
thus the validity of the session request is also void.

Hello,
if you open a link in a new tab or a new window and then open a link in the
original tab/window, this check will fail and thus lock out legitimate users.
Furthermore, it won't really help to improve security as the referer header
can easily be spoofed.
Regards
 Jakob

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.