Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: defense against session hijacking

From: David Maynor <dave () 0dayspray com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:47:04 -0500

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 03:16:55PM -0600, Thomas M. Duffey wrote:
Sorry if this is common knowledge or regularly discussed; I'm fairly
new to the list.  I see quite a few messages on this and other
security lists about session hijacking in Web applications.  Isn't it
good defense for a programmer to store the IP address of the client
when the session is initiated, and then compare that address against
the client for each subsequent request, destroying the session if the
address changes?  Do many programmers really overlook this simple
method to protect against such an attack?  It's not perfect but should
significantly increase the difficulty of such an attack with little or
no annoying side effects for the legitimate user.  Would it be useful
to extend the session modules of the common Web scripting languages
(e.g. PHP) to enable an IP address check by default?

This would break things like NATed machines and such.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html