Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Sidewinder G2

From: "Daniel Sichel" <daniels () ponderosatel com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 11:54:49 -0800

Thanks for the input I have received on safe configurations for the
Sidewinder G2. After reading all the responses which pretty universally
confirmed my instinct that it would be less than clever to have sendmail
running on a firewall, I began to doubt that I had heard the tech guy
who recommended it correctly. So I checked the manual which recommends
as most secure the following...
                        "Host the DNS and sendmail servers directly on
your firewall. The
                        operating system should be better protected
against a wide-range
                        of exploits."
                                PlanningGD.PDF
                                from Secure Computing.

This represents a very different approach than what was suggested here.
Any ideas why? Who is right? BTW, I hope I haven't broken any
intellectual property (the other ugly "IP" in our little world) laws by
reproducing the quote from the manual.  If so I apologize  and plead
ignorance. It is reporduced here ONLY for educational purposes.

Dan Sichel, Network Engineer
Ponderosa Telephone Company
(559) 868-6367

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.