Full Disclosure mailing list archives

mimail trojan horses [WAS: Re: Fwd: YOUR PAYPAL.COM ACCOUNT EXPIRES]

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:12:32 -0800

Actually the answer just came right now:
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32mimaili.html

W32/Mimail-I is a worm which spreads via email using addresses harvested from the hard drive of your computer. All email addresses found on your PC are saved in a file named el388.tmp in the Windows folder. In order to run itself automatically when Windows starts up the worm copies itself to the file svchost32.exe in the Windows folder and adds the following registry entry:

mimial has been making rounds for a while now. I doubt it's the last variant we'll see.
The author sure is consistent though.
--
      Gadi Evron,
      ge () linuxbox org.