Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: irc.trojan.fgt - new variant.

From: "Gadi Evron" <ge () egotistical reprehensible net>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 17:41:14 -0800

Yes but like you said it uses an angelfire page, If you take
it down the virus is stopped If it gets too succesfull
bandwidth limits are exceeded. So it will never widely spread
that way If someone where to include a webserver in the worm
there's no single point of failure

Exactly why:
A. This trojan is dead now.
B. The author kept releaseing clones/varaiants with different URL's.

It condusted massive spamming for itself, then died. Same thing with the
next variant.

As I wrote in my email, this trojan horse's success was propelled by the
author releasing _new_ clones "all the time" from different URL's. It
was never built to last. It was build to destroy.

As to never widely spreading... It did. :/

But your points are valid for the regular "things" we see out there.

      Gadi Evron (i.e. ge),
      ge () linuxbox org.

--------
gevron () netvision net il -
PGP Key: 2048/2048 (Size) 0x2D3D6741 (ID).
Fingerprint: 0EB3 00BC 974B 3C2B 336D 6486 ECA5 2D0D 2D3D 6741.