Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Slow Internet?

From: Damian Gerow <damian () sentex net>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 12:19:52 -0400

Thus spake morning_wood (se_cur_ity () hotmail com) [05/05/03 23:13]:
I for one notice .. things and its kinda nice to see another cost confirming
or not, mby we should start a "hiccup" list? I have noticed a few anomalies,
SNP ( bugtraq ) was down, as well as a few other well backboned sites.. ty

'un-moderated' doesn't necessarily mean 'no topic'.  Full-disclosure is,
last I checked, here to discuss vulnerabilities.  A 'hiccup' list, if every
Internet hiccough were actually recorded, would be quite a large
volume list.

The explanation that it was a worm possibility is acceptable, but not for
long.  There are better places to check /first/ to see if the net's having
troubles.  NANOG is one.  www.internethealthreport.com is another.
average.matrix.net is another.

Given that internet outages are more frequently caused by backhoes
(especially this time of year) and misconfigurations than worms and viruses,
jumping right to a security-centric mailing list probably won't get you the
answers you're looking for.  Take the Net's advice, use Google and other web
resources for a couple of minutes, then ask on your list of choice.

This isn't meant to be a flame, but a pointer.