Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: /bin/mail & glibc

From: Mark <mark () vulndev org>
Date: 29 May 2003 12:39:08 +0100

Sorry I am immensely bored today so actually reading email!

its actually a problem with /bin/mail and how it handles the CC field.

/bin/mail -s Test -c `perl -e 'print "A" 8224'` root@localhost

segfaults and overwrites eip at 8224 characters (segfaults without eip
at 8220)

dont have to be using zsh to create this problem.

there isnt really alot of worry unless /bin/mail was setuid/setgid...

easy to spawn a shell.. I've put a messy perl exploit together
(www.vulndev.org) run it, insert your '.' and <CR> and you should get a
shell.

--
                         Mark