Full Disclosure mailing list archives

AW: About spamb strange characters

From: vogt () hansenet com
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 13:12:25 +0200

Being an ex sysadmin, recognise them - you missed the complaints from
recipients of spoofed MAIL FROM: emails ;-)
That said, surely it is not unreasonable to expect at least a
response from
a technically accurate and reasoned complaint that includes
the original
spam with headers complete and intact ?

Not really, except that it's a full-time job to find them amongst
the rubble.

Some ISP's will aggressively check their own netblocks for
open relays - I
know mine does and that some people think of it as a nuisance
- but if you
are savvy enough to set up a sane MTA, then you are savvy enough the
blackhole the relay checks, so no big deal really.

We're in the process of starting to do that here. There is, of course,
the usual trouble of convincing the people with the ties (and money)
that it's something worth doing.

So the problem is that dummies complaining about other
dummies clog up
the pipes. Solution? I don't know, maybe shoot all the dummies.

How about a "fit to use the internet" licence like you have
for driving or flying ?

I'm absolutely a fan of that. I just don't think that it'll be possible
to enforce it. Maybe it's too late, or maybe it's just that those in a
position to enforce don't want to lock themselves out.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html