Full Disclosure mailing list archives

ptrace exploit workaround

From: Juraj Bednar <juraj () bednar sk>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 23:57:25 +0100

Hi,

    while waiting for kernel compilations from Debian (and while waiting
    for my kernel compilations to finish), I coded a single module,
    which acts as a workaround for one particular exploit I found in one
    user's homedirectory.

    Disclaimer:

      1.) I don't guarantee, that it will protect you from other
      exploits (it won't).

      2.) I guarantee, it won't break anything (actually it will break
      some occassional ptrace situations, but for simple gdb and stuff,
      this is ok).

      3.) I don't guarantee it will work. It may freeze your machine.
      YMMV.

      4.) I'm not a linux kernel module coder. If you'll come with
      something better, drop me a note.

      5.) Against this exploit, simple chmod 700 /proc would suffice
      (since it wants to open /proc/self/exe). This is somehow cleaner.

      6.) It should unload correctly, if it won't freeze your system
      (see point 3:).

    Anyways, as a simple workaround, it works for me, so I thought I'll
    post it, it may help you overcome this ugly time.

    Compilation instruction in source comment.

     J.

--
Juraj Bednar
http://www.jurajbednar.com/