Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Linux firewall

From: David Maxwell <david () crlf net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:18:46 -0400

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 11:26:49AM -0400, Gabe Arnold wrote:
I would suggest you use an OpenBSD 3.3 setup with the native PF
(Packet Filter)package which is based on the 'BSD IPF package.
It's quite nice, easy to use, and very secure.  I'd check out
www.openbsd.org and www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/ for a good overview of the
PF package and how to use it.

I would suggest you use a NetBSD-1.6.1 system, with the native ipfilter.
It's quite nice, easy to use, and very secure. ipfilter has been
hardened and debugged since ~1993, unlike PF, which is only almost
2 years old now. I'd check out:

http://www.netbsd.org
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/nsps/config_ipf.html
http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/

...for information on NetBSD, configuring it as a firewall, and ipfilter's
configuration and features.

Also, feel free to email netbsd-help () netbsd org with questions.

--
David Maxwell, david () vex net|david () maxwell net -->
Net Musing #5: Redundancy in a network doesn't mean two of everything and

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html