Full Disclosure mailing list archives

example.{com,org,net}

From: Brian Hatch <full-disclosure () ifokr org>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 16:29:34 -0700

LOL, oops.  Someone pointed out to me a while back that RFC 2606 reserves
"example.com" "example.org" and "example.net" for this kind of purpose.

I've been using example.{com,org,net} for years.  However 3 years
ago I noticed that they'd set up actual A records for the
www.example.{com,org,net} hostnames.  (Previously, the domains
were registered, but no nameservers actually served data for them.)
www is currently a Red Hat box on a network owned by IANA itself,
and all it does is tell you that you probably came from some
documentation and refers you to the RFC.

This is pretty silly in my estimation.  First, it only works if you
go to /, where it should work for any URL you attempted.  (After all,
folks write exploits/docs that may point to
http://www.example.com/SomethingMoreGoesHere/ )

Secondly it puts a machine out on the net that was supposed to never
exist, so now all those kiddies will be spewing packets at IANA's
example box.

--
Brian Hatch                  "We all know Linux is
   Systems and                great... it does