Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: NEW windows password encryption flaw..

From: Darren Bennett <DARREN.L.BENNETT () saic com>
Date: 23 Jul 2003 14:53:29 -0700

Here is a yahoo story on the same problem... Others seem to think that
it is indeed a problem (and one that ONLY affects Windows).

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=620&ncid=620&e=1&u=/nf/20030723/bs_nf/21952On
                -Darren

Wed, 2003-07-23 at 13:24, 3APA3A wrote:
Dear Darren Bennett,

Windows  uses  password  hash  in  a  same  way  as  Unix uses cleartext
password.  Having  password  hash  you  can  connect  to Windows network
without  knowledge  of  cleartext  password (I spent 2 minutes to modify
smbclient to use hash instead of password and 5 minutes to test, you can
try  to  do  it  as  a  challenge...  Hint:  all you need is to skip MD4
encoding  if  password  is already looks like MD4 hash). So, cracking of
Windows hashes gives you nothing in fact.

--
Darren Bennett
CISSP, Certified Unix Admin., MCSE, MCSA, MCP +I

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html