Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Re: Cisco IOS Denial of Service that affects most Cisco IOS routers- requires power cycle to recover

From: lee.e.rian () census gov
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:43:02 -0400

On July 22 Curt Purdy <purdy () tecman com> said

If the packet expires in transit i.e. ttl 1 to router 2 hops away means
it
never gets to that router.  Not possible to fill a queue with a packet
that
is dropped by the previous router.

Someone said that having the TTL of an evil packet expire on a vulnerable
router was enough to cause the problem.  The reasoning made sense - the TTL
expires so the packet gets bumped up to process level, put on the input
queue and never comes off.  But I haven't been able to duplicate that and
was wondering if it was a bogus report or my testing was ummm... less that
perfect.

So... has anyone been able to verify that the problem occurs when the TTL
expires without the packet being addressed to the router?  Or is it a
requirement that the evil packet be addressed to the router?

Regards,
Lee

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html