Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: R7-0015: Multiple Vulnerabilities Apple QuickTime/Darwin Streaming Server

From: northern snowfall <dbailey27 () ameritech net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 00:41:23 -0500

If somebody can send you a low-bandwidth stream of packets that make your
server work WAY too hard, so that the expensive server that's supposed to be
handling 500 simultaneous clients is dropping users at 75, it's a security
issue.

Yeh. I actually wrote an exploit for a condition similar to this, recently.
The DoS condition was a remote vulnerability that lead to 100% CPU usage
for a period of approximately 6 minutes in length before a time-out occurred.
After this time-out, I was easily able to perpetuate the DoS condition with
another, specially crafted, packet.

In correlation with this vulnerability I maintained a bit walk (coined by
a friend?) technique on an exploit that needed an approximated fourteen
minutes to determine a proper return address. Since the exploit triggered
some pretty obvious noise any admin could see, the DoS condition kept
any admin from logging in either locally on via console. This leaded to
success.

That's just a nice example of how DoS can actually be of some functional
use in a given threat vector. More obvious examples would be hijacking
conditions.

Don

http://www.7f.no-ip.com/~north_

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.