Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Patching networks redux

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 09:41:24 +1200

John.Airey () rnib org uk wrote:

Please do not forget that the "experts" are not nearly as troubled by
this because the problem was largly mitigated by following best
practices. I suspect you too could be spending this time
appropriately
handling the problem cases and systems that required the
functionality
with a lot less worry and headache.

Isn't it interesting that
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS
03-026.asp says that you can install this on either SP3 or SP4. So can Jason
please explain what best practices he refers to?

I'm sure he was referring to standard computer security best practices
-- you know, things like ensuring least privilege, disabling unused
accounts created by a default install, having strong password policy
enforcement, uninstalling/disabling/etc unused services, firewalling
all but the truly necessary ports, etc, etc, etc.

What in that can you see that would _not_ have "largely mitigated" the
threat potential of this vuln?

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.