Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: The worm author finally revealed!

From: Simon Richter <Simon.Richter () hogyros de>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 22:25:29 +0100

Henrik,

I guess many people also thinks that having a PGP signature on mails
make them - true (while paranoid people would actually verify the
signatures)

No, PGP signatures help me establish trust to individuals by allowing me
to connect messages by the same individual to each other and then decide
whether I trust that person. That a key also has a more-or-less
pronounceable name embedded simply helps my brain to remember which
individual was just talking.

even IF the PGP signature verifies clean the content might be
fake, or a joke in this case

Erm, the contents may be fake, but this comes seldom from someone who
you already trust through what he/she said before. Of course, this
system is subject to social engineering, but I couldn't think of a
better system.

   Simon

--
GPG Fingerprint: 040E B5F7 84F1 4FBC CEAD  ADC6 18A0 CC8D 5706 A4B4