Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: RE: MS SQL WORM IS DESTROYING INTERNET BLOCK PORT 1434!

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:25:01 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Jacobsen [mailto:nick () ethicsdesign com]
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 3:58 AM
To: full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] RE: MS SQL WORM IS DESTROYING INTERNET
BLOCK PORT 1434!

I'd be real interested to hear the names of any edus that 1) have a
firewall and 2) have a "deny all" policy in place and *implemented*.

Well, isn't quite a university, but two local colleges/technical schools
have this:  Umpqua Community College (www.cc.umpqua.or.us) , in southern
Oregon, and Oregon Institute of Technology, also in southern Oregon.

I'm not surprised.  In *general*, the smaller the institution, the more
likely that policies can be implemented *relatively* quickly.  In
*general*, the larger the institution, the more likely it is that policy
changes will move at a glacial pace.

It *is* changing, but for those of us who care about the health of the
Internet, not nearly fast enough.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas