Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Disabling Cached Logon Credentials

From: "Nick Duda" <nduda () VistaPrint com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 09:40:23 -0500

Is it safe to say that a secured data center is in fact secured? Not
naming certain datacenters I've used but in one of them they hold onto
the keycard to the facility. They require the person requesting it to
sign in and give the valid cage number and some minor security answers
to get the key card. Social Engineering can have a field day with this.

Let's expand the definition of half-baked security.  Half-baked
security is implementing settings that are not necessary, which increase
the TCO of the platform (via increasing downtime of revenue generating
applications while trying to return them to service).

I believe disabling cached logon credentials for servers in data
centers falls into the above definition

This is where I disagree. Logon credientials being cached do not fall
under the TCO situation. Having admin password 50 characters long and
stored in a vault needing 2 keys to unlock it does. In fact I would
assume that disabling cached logon credentials would be the ideal
situation for a server(s) in a data center no matter how secure one
finds it. If you do not have constant physical access to the server and
someone else can when you cant (never say never), then by all means the
above situation requires even little security measures such as Cached
logon credentials being disabled.

My .02

- Nick