Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Sears Scam Trojan Code

From: Richard Maudsley <r_i_c_h_lists () btopenworld com>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 12:53:26 +0000

Hi,

Using notepad I stripped all of the chars away from the hex, then pasted it into a hex editor and saved it as an executable. There is probably some blatant reason why this wont work, but I don't know why - so the executable doesn't actually run, but I still extracted the following information.

When you click open, the HTA script extracts an executable to:
[SystemRoot]\System32\usb_d.exe

The script does some other things too..

usb_d.exe is a UPX packed executable of 24769 bytes (MD5: 32618578cedbfe8b73bbf975e23be1fc) - [info for my broken PE]

It appears to be a VisualC++ application.

When I try to debug the exe, ntvdm.exe is loaded instead (because the PE is broken)...

Please post full details when you analyze this file, I will be very interested to know how you do it properly.

Have a great Christmas all,
        Richard Maudsley

[HEX DUMP ATTACHED]