Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: possible MS03-026 worm?

From: tcpdumb <tcpdumb () pentiumbuster homelinux com>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 19:32:31 +0200

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 11:58:00 -0500
"mobly99" <dhopper () ameritech net> wrote:

Seems to be a possible worm based on the RPC/DCOM exploit making the
rounds?

Definetly. Depending on the logfiles from our Firewall at work, there must be something out there. Infected machines
found at:

156.34.222.0/24
194.96.90.0/24
196.30.232.0/24
200.0.0.0/8
202.0.0.0/8

and so on. Their traffic is about 50-75% of a day's traffic. Fortunately without any damage to our systems. The worm
seems to check hosts with a funny ryhtm within a Subnet:

IP=123.123.123.1

$IP+5
        $IP+1
$IP+4
        $IP+2
$IP+3
        $IP+3
$IP+2
        $IP+4
$IP+1
        $IP+5

Dunno why but I found it out reading the 24h output of our Firewall. The coder must be stupid/[totally stoned] or
simply made a mistake coding the loops for scanning.
Strange thing,

        Lukas

puts these files in %systemdrive%
rpc.exe
rpctest.exe
tftpd.exe
worm.exe
lolx.exe

also in %windir%\system32
lolx.exe
dcomx.exe

rpc.exe and dcomx.exe appear in the running tasks.

I pulled samples of them and submitted to SARC.

-Dave

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html